Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which routers can IRP work with?
IRP has been successfully tested with Brocade/Foundry, Cisco, Juniper, and Vyatta. Generraly, IRP is designed to work with any standards-compliant BGP router which supports routing policies and standard BGP attributes.
2. Does IRP optimize inbound traffic?
Currently IRP does only outbound traffic optimization.
3. What is the product pricing?
Intelligent Routing Platform is licensed based on the network outbound bandwidth usage, measured as monthly 95th percentile. Fill in a quote request and we will prepare a customized quote for you.
4. Who configures the product?
The initial configuration is performed by Noction engineers.
5. What are the hardware and software requirements for deploying Noction IRP?
A detailed list of hardware and software requirements can be found in the product documentation.
6. Does IRP need a physical server or a virtual machine would work?
Virtual Machine is only suitable for a test deployment. For production purposes IRP has to be installed on a physical server.
13. How is the actual traffic rerouting performed?
The IRP BGP daemon injects routes to the improved prefixes with an updated next-hop, and a higher local-preference value, so that the improved routes take precedence over the original routes received from the providers.
9. How does IRP select which network to optimize?
The networks to be analyzed and optimized are chosen from the traffic data gathered by the FLOW collector according to configurable volume thresholds. Each collected network is being probed by the system to detect outages, packet loss, latency and other network anomalies. At the same time, the SPAN collector can detect additional network anomalies such as excessive delay and high packet retransmits. Then, depending on the system configuration, the prefixes are improved accordingly.
11. Does IRP support IPv6 ?
Yes. IRP does fully support IPv6.
7. Can I test the platform in my infrastructure?
Yes. We can deploy a test installation in your infrastructure. The system can run in a non-intrusive (read-only) BGP mode. It will provide reporting on network performance and problems in the middle-mile network segment, without issuing any BGP updates. Fill in a trial request and we will get back to you.
8. What happens in the case of multiple edge routers? Would we need a separate IRP instance for each HA pair of edge routers?
An IRP instance is required for each geographical location/POP. Therefore, if you have a single location with multiple routers, a single IRP instance is enough. IRP is able to handle multiple BGP sessions with your edge routers.
12. What happens if the platform crashes, goes down, or gets disconnected from the network?
In this case the BGP sessions between your edge routers and the IRP appliance are reset and all the announced improvements are withdrawn automatically from the routing tables. The router(s) returns to using the routes received from the providers, thus no downtime occurs and the traffic is being automatically routed through the regular non-optimized paths.
10. If I choose the monthly subscription (MRC), what are the contract terms?
Minimum contract period is one year.
14. What bandwidth / packet per second overhead does IRP "probing" traffic add in practice?
By default, 70 concurrent probing threads are set up, generating an average outgoing traffic of 1200 Kbps and 230 Kbps of incoming traffic.
17. Does IRP need a BGP session with our edge routers?
An iBGP session between the IRP appliance and your edge routers needs to be established.
16. Will IRP return the full original BGP table with optimizations in place?
IRP is only announcing the optimized prefixes/routes with the updated next-hop.
15. Does Noction IRP export Netflow or IPFIX?
IRP analyzes Netflow/sFlow data to find the path that satisfies the performance and cost policies. IRP doesn`t export Netflow or any other kind of flow data.
18. What is the frequency of the probes?
After an initial probing (and improvement, if required), each improved prefix is being reprobed in configurable intervals (by default: 4hours).
19. How long it takes to deploy the system?
It strictly depends on the complexity of the infrastructure and the feedback speed. Usually it takes from 3 to 7 days.
30. Does the system retain the previous improvements after a restart?
Yes. All existing improvements are stored in a persistent database. In case of a long downtime,the improvements status will be checked by re-probing.
23. Who should use Noction IRP?
Noction IRP is designed to help service and content providers with multiple Internet connections to improve BGP routing.
25. Does it matter what Linux distribution will be installed on the IRP server?
Yes. IRP needs CentOS 6, x86_64.
26. What is Noction IRP?
Noction Intelligent Routing Platform (IRP) is designed to improve the performance and reduce the costs of running a multi-homed BGP network. The platform operates at the network edge and does non-intrusive traffic analysis in order to detect network congestion and blackouts. The affected network routes are probed for a set of specific metrics through all the available providers in order to detect and reroute the traffic to the best performing path.
24. Are you providing the platform as a physical appliance or as a software package that can be installed on our own hardware?
Both options are available.
29. How does IRP perform remote network probing for gathering network performance metrics?
The system uses one of the following methods for probing a remote network: ICMP, UDP, and TCP_SYN. The probing is self-learning, based on the network replies, updating the algorithms accordingly.
22. What Netflow-like protocol does IRP support?
IRP supports NetFlow v1, v5, v9, jFlow, and sFlow.
21. How do I install and configure Noction IRP in my network?
Information about installing and configuring IRP can be found in the product documentation: http://www.noction.com/documentation. Noction engineers will fully assist you during the deployment process.
20. Are there any case studies or success stories with Noction IRP?
27. How can I get technical support?